Provide customers with TRUSTWORTHY and RELIABLE Canadian Immigration Services

Work Permit

An open work permit allows a Canadian immigrant to work openly throughout the country. This allows you to work at any location and for any employer so long as they are credible businesses. When hiring an immigrant, Canadian firms will likely be required to submit a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to ensure they have adequately searched for a Canadian national to fill their vacant job position. 

You are eligible for an open work permit if you meet on the following criteria:

  • If you are a permanent resident
  • If you have dependent family that are permanent residents
  • If you have a spouse or common-law partner who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents, or if they are students who have an active study permit
  • If you are a refugee or protected person or a family member of a refugee or protected person
  • If you are a young worker who is specializing in a special worth work program

Employer Specific Work Permit

An employer specific work permit allows foreign workers to work for a specific employer at a specific location. This type of work permit will feature you name, the employer you are going to work for, the duration of your employment and the location of your office place. This permit is also known as a closed-work permit and if often subject to a job offer by a Canadian employer who has completed a LMIA report proving that there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is qualified to take this job. 

Eligibility: To determine if you are eligible to apply for a work permit, certain conditions need to be met: 

  • Applicants must be able to prove they will leave the country after their permit ends
  • Applicants must not work for employers who have failed to comply with the employment decency standards
  • Some examples of employers that do not comply with these standards are strip club dancers, escorts, or similar professionals
  • Applicants must pass a medical exam
  • Applicants must have enough funds to support themselves and their family members for their entire stay in Canada

Applying from Outside Canada

Depending on your country of origin you may be able to apply for a work permit through a visa office outside of Canada. These offices will be able to guide you through the required documentation, fee and procedures associated with your application. You will likely also need to successfully complete a police clearance exam and well as a medical examination from a designated medical doctor. 

Apply from Inside Canada

You are eligible to apply for a work permit while you are inside Canada if you meet the following criteria: 

  • You or your spouse are currently living in Canada and have a valid study permit or work permit
  • You have graduated from an accredited educational institute within Canada, or if you are eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit
  • You have applied for a permanent resident permit and are waiting for a decision from a Canadian immigration official
  • You have asked for refugee status and are waiting for approval from a Canadian immigration official
  • A work permit can be grated when you land into Canada of you are from a visa-exempt country with a valid medical clearance