Provide customers with TRUSTWORTHY and RELIABLE Canadian Immigration Services

Study Permit

A study permit is a legal document that allows students from foreign counties to study inside Canada. Most international students are required to have a study permit while attending an educational institution. The formal name of a study permit is called the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). We have listed the eligibility requirements below for your review.
International students interested in studying inside of Canada need to secure a study permit from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) department. The IRCC issues study permits to qualified students based on the following criteria:
  • Students must secure and offer letter from a standard educations institution that resides inside of Canada.
  • This letter must be accepted by the IRCC and the Canadian government.
  • Students must obtain a police clearance certificate.
  • Students must pass a medical examination.
  • Students must prove that they have the financial means to support themselves while they are studying inside Canada.
  • Students must provide proof that they will leave the country after their studies have been completed or that they will apply for the respective work permit if they plan to work after their studies or partake in post graduate studies.
If you are qualified for a study permit, it is recommended that you gather all of your supporting documentation and apply for the permit once you receive an admissions letter from your university. Study permit applications can be made by paper application or online. Depending on your nationality, you will likely be issued a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or a letter of introduction. This document can be presented at your port of entry to a Canadian immigration officer.

Working as a Student ‚Äč

If you are a planning to work will studying in Canada, you may be required to obtain a specialized permit. We have detailed the various worker classifications below:

If you are working on campus at a job that requires less than 20 hours a week, you are not required to apply for a specialized permit. However, you will be required to acquire a Social Insurance Number (SIN) which will be required by your employer.

If you are planning to work off campus either full time or part time, you will be required to secure an open work permit. It is important to note that this work experience will not be accepted for future immigrations applications.

If you are planning to engage in a co-op or internship during your time as a student you will be required to apply for a co-op work permit. In order to obtain this permit, you must receive a letter from your school confirming need to complete work placement in order to receive a degree. Your co-op must be no more than 50% of your overall schooling .

Canada allows post-graduate students to obtain a post-graduate work permit which allows international students who have recently finished their secondary educations to partake in valuable on-the-job experience. Post Graduate Work Permits allow students to work full time for an indefinite amount of time. This being said, the duration of your work permit only extends to the point at which your studies are completed. If you are not registered as a student at an accredited educational institution your post-graduate work permit will not be valid.

You spouse will also be able to qualify for a work permit if they are accompanying you into Canada.